Your sister or friend, someone close to you or distant, just informed you of their upcoming bundle of joy. While you are happy and excited for the parents, you also want to present them something that they will like and benefit from. As a mom of one and aunt of 6 – I have got chance to come up with a list of ideas to help myself and you (by the will of Allah).
On top of my list is SERVICES. People living in west can testify to the fact that here services are expensive compared to back home, and not everyone can afford or wants to pay those expenses when they have a major life changing event to come. Services like cleaning, baby sitting, cooking, and anything else the mother needs would be greatly appreciated by the mother. Even if a lady has her husband or in laws around, we all are aware that no matter how living and caring a husband is, it is hard for him to fully grasp the changes & pains a mother goes through during and post pregnancy & with all due respect to in laws mostly it is hard for women to express their needs to in laws due to fear of being judged.
Other than services, gifts can be tangible items or simply cash or gift cards. Some good options in gift items are:
– Nursing tops or dresses or maxis for mom.
– Baby Clothing (many new parents can’t afford or don’t want to spend much on clothing, so some extras do help).
– Baby Monitor (an expensive gift but very useful).
– Postpartum Care Basket (collect and create a set yourself).
– Panjeeri (a kind of healthy snack full of nuts, etc that is given to women during pregnancy and postpartum) – it is very hard to make a good tasting panjeeri so it’s helpful if somebody else makes it for mom. You can either make it yourself or buy it for the mom.
Other than services or items, you can also choose to give cash or gift cards – this is a very good way to go about it too because then the parents can buy what they really need.
At the end, what you gift depends on your relationship with the person, the person, and your budget.
Tip: Try to provide gift receipt too so that the parents can replace or return if they would prefer something else.
These are some of my top gift ideas for new moms. Do share with me your gift ideas for new moms by commenting below.